June 10, 2010

What a Difference a Day Makes

... or I guess I should say a few hours! 

After everything that happened yesterday, our doctor, Dr. "V" (Mark Vajaranant) asked that I come back this morning to take another measurement of my hCG hormones to see whether or not my body was terminating the pregnancy on its own, or whether I would have to have it surgically removed. My appointment was at 10, they took my blood right away. (Right off the bat, I was slightly nervous because my body temp was higher than normal, which is a sign of pregnancy). 

Then I waited. And waited, and waited, and waited. I didn't get any word until 1 in the afternoon - 3 hours after my blood was drawn and sent to the labs! Needless to say, it would have been helpful if I took a magazine (or 3). The longer it went, the more nervous I got! 

Finally, Dr. V came into the waiting room and asked me to follow him. He pushed on my stomach and did a quick little exam, and there was no pain! (Hallelujah!) So, he explained that my hormones shot up over night. Yesterday morning, my hCG hormone was measuring about 522, and this morning it was 792! Because of this, and the fact that I had stopped bleeding, the doctor decided to take a closer look at my ultrasound pictures from the day before.

The mass that was seen in my right fallopian tube, he now suspects is actually a corpus luteum cyst. This type of cyst is very commonly present during pregnancies as it releases progesterone and estrogen during pregnancy.The reason the doctor thought it was an embryo before was because there is fluid floating around the mass (which he thought was the sac). After closer inspection, he now thinks that the fluid around the mass is blood. It's common that these types of cysts bleed (which would also explain the bleeding I've been experiencing).
More information can be found about these types of cysts here: http://www.ovarian-cysts.com/articles/ovarian-cyst-types/corpus-luteum-cyst.php

After he explained all of this to me, the first question I had was "Am I still pregnant?" I am thrilled to say that we are STILL PREGNANT, still expecting, and still on track. We're not out of the woods yet, though. Because he's not 100% certain that it is a cyst, there's still a possibility that we are having an ectopic pregnancy. He explained that things could go one of three ways: 1.) I could still miscarry; 2.) It could be an ectopic pregnancy; 3.)It could go on to be a normal, healthy pregnancy! (Come on, God, #3!!!!!!!!!) Because of all the uncertainty, the bleeding, the low hormone levels, and our last pregnancy that resulted in a stillbirth, it's considered a high risk pregnancy. I will be spending a LOT more time in the next few months in the hospital, doctors' offices, and clinics. I have more blood work Monday along with another ultrasound. I then have a follow up appointment at a doctor's office on Wednesday. 

Dr. V said he was hoping that by Monday my hormone levels will be over 1,000 - and if that's the case, we should be able to see a definite embryo in my uterus on Monday! (How absolutely fantastic would that be?!) If they can locate the embryo, and it's without a doubt in my uterus, we do not have to worry about #2 (ectopic pregnancy)!!! It will still be a high risk pregnancy, but hopefully, that will change. It would be absolutely amazing and wonderful. 

So, to all our friends and family who have been keeping us in their thoughts and prayers, keep all that positiveness coming! It has paid off beyond our wildest dreams and we are eternally grateful. While we are not trying to get our hopes too high, we can't help but be thrilled! There's still hope, and that's a whole lot more than what we had yesterday. :)

Baby Lauer - Disregard what I wrote to you earlier today.You have given mommy and daddy quite a scare! I hope and pray that we will get to see you Monday and you will be where you're supposed to be, growing, happy, and healthy! You have no idea how much reassurance that would give us. I know that's a lot to put on you, especially since you're going through a ton of stuff developmentally this week, but just you keep fighting! We all love you to pieces.

2 comments:

  1. Holy crap! That's amazing news - I'll be praying for you guys! Soooooo happy for you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Kristin! I wanted to tell you asap yesterday, but I didn't know how to reach you! (So I blogged! lol). I know here's still a long way to go before things could be considered "alright," but, for now, hope is better than we could have asked for on Wednesday! :)

    ReplyDelete